Learning how to access research material in the campus library
Taking a break from studies with a weekend trip to San Francisco
The Summer Bridge Program
at the University of California, Berkeley is a six-week rigorous academic residential program that facilitates the transition of students from high school to the University. Since 1973, students have found the Summer Bridge Program essential to their successful transition to Cal.Summer Bridge cultivates a diverse community of scholars and prepares them to engage actively with and meet the challenges of a large public research University. The program supports students by providing:
- A stimulating and challenging academic experience;
- Personalized, comprehensive advising and counseling; and
- An intellectually and socially enriching residential experience.
What are the features of Summer Bridge?
- About 350 students, from various geographic regions and cultural backgrounds, participate in the program.
- Participants are enrolled in two intensive academic courses with adjunct workshops, as well as an advising seminar.
- All students live together in a residence hall, which facilitates the formation of a supportive community and network of friends.
Summer Bridge helps students to:
- Get a jump start on their university career;
- Fulfill university and major requirements;
- Better understand faculty expectations and university culture;
- Establish relationships with academic counselors and advisers;
- Become familiar with the UC Berkeley campus;
- Learn to optimize campus resources; and
- Build a supportive network of faculty, staff and peers that extends throughout their tenure at Cal.
|"Summer Bridge allows students to experience college. It allowed me to have a smooth transition from high school to college, and I feel prepared for fall semester."|